What makes Cambodian food unique?
Unlike the cuisine of neighbouring Thailand and Vietnam (which can really pack a spicy punch), Cambodian food is subtler with its spices. Sturdy ingredients include garlic, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, turmeric and galangal, which are usually pounded into a kroeung (paste) and commonly used in cooking.
What is the national food of Vietnam?
Pho is the national dish of Vietnam and is sold everywhere from nice restaurants to street corners where grandmothers set up makeshift kitchens. For this version, all of the components—noodles, beef brisket broth, herbs, chiles—are served separately.
Are there any Khmer foods that visitors may find unique or different?
8 Best Dishes in Cambodia
- Fish amok (steamed coconut fish in banana leaves)
- Samlor machu trey (sweet and sour soup with fish)
- Char kroeung sach ko (stir-fried lemongrass beef)
- Twa ko (Cambodian sausage)
- Nom banh chok (Khmer noodles)
- Bai sach chrouk (grilled pork and broken rice)
- Kuy teav (noodle soup)
What’s great about Cambodia?
There are two main reasons why you should visit Cambodia: 1) it offers an incredible amount of history and culture; 2) its nature is amazing: it ranges from the gorgeous National Parks to the relaxing islands. If you’re planning to visit Southeast Asia, Cambodia is a must-visit country.
Who is the most famous Cambodian?
Famous people from Cambodia
- Pol Pot. Military Commander. …
- Norodom Sihanouk. Military Commander. …
- Lon Nol. Politician. …
- Khang Khek Leu. Politician. …
- Sam Rainsy. Politician. …
- Sinn Sisamouth. Blues Artist. …
- Norodom Sihamoni. Monarch. …
- Somaly Mam. Organization founder.